Although Roussel records call for Chelsea Palaces to be laid onto a red mount and displayed in a red frame he experimented with different colour arrangements. Another impression of this print exists on this mount and is presented in a buff coloured frame, as usually seen on ‘The Sea at Bognor’.
This print depicts the last large seventeenth century house in Chelsea, Lindsey House, which is situated to the west of Beaufort street and Battersea bridge. Built on the site of a farmhouse on Sir Thomas More's estate, and remodelled in 1674 by the Earl of Lindsey, it was later subdivided and was to become the home of Isambard Kingdom Brunel as well the artists John Martin and James McNeil Whistler. The house still survives today.
|Print Size||8.5 x 13 cm|
|Mount Size||29.6 x 31.7 cm|
|Provenance||The artist's estate|