Hilary Gerrish has been an art dealer since 1971.†For the first fifteen years of his career he was in partnership with Nick Lott. Whilst countless, unimagined, treasures were to be found in country sales the international art market, under the influence of Sothebys and Christies, had a new-found vibrancy and collectors had proliferated. This was the world in which Lott and Gerrish found themselves and they flourished, even expanding their interests to the purchase of Clogau St Davidís gold mine, in North Wales. Throughout most of this period they had a gallery in 12 Masonís Yard, St Jamesís.
By 1985 the partnership had been dissolved and before long Hilary and Helena, his new wife, sold their Regency cottage, in Regent Parkís Park Village East, and moved to a gothic vicarage in Monmouthshire, once the Welsh country retreat of the artist Gordon House. Although the next decade was spent in this rural idyll with the joys of bringing up three children, art dealing remained a healthy compulsion.
In 2003 they moved to the, grade II*, High Glanau, Monmouthshire. Overlooking the Vale of Usk, the house is set in twelve acres of arts and crafts garden laid out by H Avray Tipping in 1922.†Over the following years Helena Gerrish restored the gardens to their former glory and they are now open to the public.
Hilary specialises in 19th and 20th century British prints, watercolours and paintings, decorative arts and 19th century British and European photography. Over the last 30 years he has assembled one of the largest privately held collections of prints by JMW Turner in the world, comprising over twelve hundred works.
Hilaryís experience and knowledge are an invaluable resource for Gerrish Fine Art.
Before becoming a director of Gerrish Fine Art, Georgie studied at London's Courtauld Institute of Art, the world's leading centre for the academic study of art history, graduating in 2004 with an MA in History of Art.
Georgie represents the more modern side of Gerrish Fine Art and focuses predominantly on Post-war printmaking in the UK, Europe and America. Her specialities include the work of the Belgian Symbolist Felicien Rops, David Hockney, Eduardo Paolozzi and the New York scene of the 60s and 70s. She is the main representative of the estate of abstract artist and designer Gordon House (1932-2004), having acquired his studio in 2010, and is writing a monograph on his work.
She also heads up our Counter Culture department and has assembled one of the largest private collections of the posters of the Mai 68 movement in France. These were exhibited in London to great acclaim on the 50th Anniversary of the riots. She has successfully placed pieces from the collection in several major museums in both the USA and Europe as well several key private collections.
Having begun working for Gerrish Fine Art part-time at the age of 18, Henry Gerrish graduated from the University of St Andrews in 2010 with an MA in History of Art and subsequently joined the firm as a director.
He specialises in 19th century British landscape print-making (particularly the work of FL Griggs and John Constable) and early 20th century modern British Art, focusing on the works of CRW Nevinson, Paul Nash and Edward Wadsworth.
During his time with Gerrish Fine Art, Henry has organised a major exhibition of British Pastoral printmaking, surveying the influence of Samuel Palmer on artists such as Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs, Roy Stanley Badmin, Graham Sutherland, Paul Drury and Joseph Webb. He also helped negotiate the donation of the original copper plate of George Richmond's 'The Good Shepherd' to the British Museum; a work considered one of the most important discoveries in British Romantic printmaking in the last 30 years.